Monday, January 7, 2008

Rainy days and Mondays

It's rainy and grey and yucky here, but at least it's not freezing cold and snowing. My sinuses started acting up over the weekend, and I'm trying to prevent a sinus infection. I've been pretty good this season so far, with no infections and very few sinus-related headaches, so I think I can beat it. I usually don't take Sudafed or any decongestants for fear of rebound headaches, but instead opt for steam and my Neti Pot. This whole thing is really odd to me, as I haven't really had any cold symptoms other than some sneezing, and it feels more like seasonal allergies, which can't be possible. Where is this coming from?

I started running again this weekend. I haven' t been running regularly since October of 2006, when I was training for the Des Moines Marathon. I had just run 19 miles, my longest distance ever, and I started having foot pain. After a CAT scan and other tests, it turned out to be some kind of muscle strain. Not a very glamorous injury, unfortunately, but I still couldn't run without pain, so I volunteered at the race instead, along with the stress fracture victims. Before the marathon, I had only run one race - the 2005 Des Moines Half Marathon, so I was still relatively new to running, and I probably bit off more than I could chew. I've now scaled down my ambitions, and my new goal for the year is to finish a 5 or 10k, which I think is much more do-able.

No comments: