Monday, January 21, 2008

Monday Update

It was really really really cold here this weekend. Below zero wind chills, but at least it was sunny! Today is cold, grey, and flurrying. Is flurrying really a word? My spell check says it is, and who am I to argue with the mighty spell check?

Last night the S.O.* and I went to see Juno and celebrate the 5th anniversary of our first date, which was actually on Saturday. The movie was really good and conversation-provoking. He gave it a B+, I gave it an A.

After that, he watched the football playoffs and I watched the season finale of the best reality show on television EVER, the Amazing Race. I think this was the best season of the show ever AND the best finale in a long time. I'd been rooting for TK and Rachel for many weeks now, so I was thrilled to see them cross the finish line first. Actually, I would have been happy to see any of the final 3 win, as they were all really inspiring and deserving of a win. My S.O. is concerned that I will go through some withdrawal now without the Race to watch, but I still have Project Runway for a while. After that, I'll just have to learn to read again.

Speaking of reading, I spent much of Saturday night reading a book I got for Christmas (I requested it), Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. I rarely carve out more than 5 minutes a day to read a real book, so taking a full hour to read was welcome. This book is like crack to me, as I am obsessed with the whole "local foods" movement. It's also given me spring fever, and I can't wait to start planning out this year's veggie garden, which will be bigger than last year's.

For some reason last night, I woke up at 3:30 AM and couldn't get back to sleep. This was bad because I don't think I went to sleep until Midnight in the first place, so I spent the next 2 hours trying to relax enough to sleep. I had a cup of herbal tea, I read a magazine article, listened to classical music...nothing worked. Whenever I got even close to sleeping, my nose would start running, my mate would snore, the space heater would start up (loudly), and even though I was wearing industrial-strength earplugs, I was going crazy. I finally ended up on the couch and had a very light 30 minute nap before I heard my alarm go off. I then called work and told them I'd be a few hours late, and went back to my real bed. I tried again to sleep, now with the comforting thought that I didn't have to go to work with less than 4 hours in, and I somehow fell asleep for a few more hours. It really sucked.

First Sock in Joan of Arc
I finished sock #2 this weekend, and pictures will be posted soon!

* Significant Other. He prefers to remain anonymous. :)

No comments: