Friday, January 4, 2008

The Caucus/Bowl Game Aftermath

I live in Iowa, and therefore the Caucuses, along with all the canditates, are all I've heard about for weeks. I did not caucus last night, as I am a registered Independent, and only registered Republicans and Democrats get to do it, however, I was rootin' for Obama. Last night was also the BIG GAME, as my Kansas Jayhawks were playing in the Orange Bowl. Everyone said they'd lose, but they won. They finished their record-breaking season with 12 wins and one loss. Last night was obviously a night for the underdogs.

I got the night off from my other job yesterday, so I asked the boyfriend to take me out to eat. We went to one of the more popular restaurants in town, only to find it nearly empty. I took this as a good sign that there would be a huge turnout at the caucuses, and I was right. We went straight home and flipped back and forth between the caucus returns and the Big Game the rest of the night while I knitted sock #2 and the boyfriend drank four cans of Guinness. I only point out that he drank four cans because I gave him crap about it, as each can was 14.9 ounces. What can I say? He loves his Guinness. I'm one to talk, actually, as I once drank an entire bottle of Arbor Mist in one short evening, not realizing until it was too late that there's actually a lot of alcohol in that stuff. Just because it tastes like Kool Aid does not mean it IS Kool Aid.

As for the Orange Bowl game, it was really huge for the Jayhawks. KU Football has been pretty lackluster for many years. While I was attending, the school spent beaucoup bucks on a renovation of Memorial Stadium, adding box seats for the big-money boosters, a new scoreboard with Jumbo Tron, and fixing up the rest of it. I lived across the street from the stadium soon after the renovations, and as I walked my dog around the complex, I'd wonder if all that work was really worth it. It took quite a few years, including a new coach and some team rebuilding, but, by God, they did it. Never in my lifetime did I think I'd see a successful KU Football team, and here they are. Well done, men, and Rock Chalk.


No comments: