Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Snowpocalypse (or Snowmageddon) in Iowa

By the first official day of Winter here in Iowa, we already had snow and below-zero wind chills. This week we are getting more snow and more cold. When will it end!?!? I've lived in the Midwest most of my life, and I'll never get used to the snow and ice and cold.

This is Christmas week, which usually involves stress and lots of sugar for me, and this year is no exception. I've been rushing around trying to buy last-minute gifts and wrap them. I bought a bunch of holiday-themed cookie cutters a year or two ago and I haven't had a chance to use them this year. I think I'm going to bake some dog cookies tonight and use them for that. Of course, only one out of the two dogs will probably eat them, as Mr. Beau doesn't really like biscuits. I've been researching recipes online for cookies involving mostly cheese or meat in the hopes I'll find something he'll eat. I found a couple involving large amounts of cheddar or bacon, so that might work. He's very picky. Buddy, on the other hand, will eat just about anything.

On the subject of dogs, this cold weather has made it nearly impossible to walk them. It doesn't phase Buddy too much, as walks are not his raison d'etre, but Beau looks like he might resort to drinking. Tonight might be the first in two days that is mild enough to walk him. Buddy, though wearing a sweater or coat, still has trouble walking in the winter because of the snow and salt getting into his paws. I'm looking into getting him some booties, fully aware that he won't like them, but he's gonna wear them anyway. We get about halfway down the street and he starts limping and licking his little paws, so they're kind of an evil necessity.

This video is absolutely adorable to me. This doggie is owned by the blogger of Offbeat Bride. This gives me hope that Buddy might "warm" to wearing booties.

Snowpocalypse 2008 from arielmeadow on Vimeo.

We are off to Storm Lake tomorrow to spend Christmas with Sean's parents. Pray for us that the weather is OK on the way there and back. We are both absolute chickensh*ts when it comes to driving in winter weather anymore, and we'll have the dogs in the car with us, so we'll be doubly nervous.

I hope everyone has a happy holiday weekend!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Yea, this white sh*t has lost its appeal, huh? Bah, humbug!

Anyway, safe journeys to you two crazy coots out there on the roads this Christmas. Take it easy and have a great Christmas.

Funny video! Love it!

Courtney Suzanne said...

Thanks, Liz! Have a great Christmas and stay cozy!

Minion GIR said...

Good luck with the booties. Dudley wouldn't tolerate them, but then he'd try to pick up all four feet at once when it was really cold and icy. I used to have to shovel a path for him so he could get under the deck to tinkle in the winter.

Be safe.