Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy All-Hallows Eve

Today is Halloween in the U.S., but last night was "Beggar's Night" in my neighborhood. What is "Beggar's Night", you ask? I wondered the same thing when I first moved to Iowa. The night before Halloween, the kids go out begging for candy in costume, but they are required to tell you a joke or riddle in order to get the kiddy crack. Since the above link probably won't work after a day or two, here's an excerpt from the Des Moines Register article about the origins of the Central Iowa Beggar's Night:

The flash point came on Halloween in 1938 when Des Moines police answered a record 550 calls concerning vandalism. Krieg, along with the Community Chest' group work council, began a campaign to encourage less violent forms of Halloween fun.

They set aside Oct. 30 as Beggars' Night and got the word out to the public that on that night - and only that night - children would be allowed to go from door to door and say the phrase "tricks for eats." The council urged that "eats should be given only if such a 'trick' as a song, a poem, a stunt or a musical number, either solo or in group participation, is presented."
I think my boyfriend would be relieved that the musical option has gone out of style. The last person he'd give candy to is a tiny Ethel Merman or Tommy Tune.

When I lived in a smaller town, the kids were pretty good with the joke-telling. I live in the Des Moines suburbs now, and I think I only got 4 jokes TOTAL last night. Four! That's outrageous! What is wrong with these kids today?

There was a rather interesting assortment of costumes this year. A fairy/butterfly/princess toddler was extremely excited about this whole Halloween thing. A V for Vendetta was one of my first visitors. I think they were around 10 or 11 and female, though that mask covers a lot. I wanted to ask him/her if they were planning on blowing up Parliament tonight, but I restrained myself.

We almost ran out of candy. I had to shut the door before the 8 p.m. cutoff time (yes, they only allow begging from 6-8 p.m.) to keep people away. Sadly, I also gave all the regular and peanut M&M's away, leaving me with the crappy crunchy mini M&M's. Next year, I need to use better strategy.


No comments: